Monday, August 7, 2006

Summer fun


OK Frannie, in the interest of keeping things moving and keeping you interested, I share with you one of our summer fun staples - Outdoor Movies.

Tonight (as I write this) Katie and friends are watching V for Vendetta out in our driveway.

We set up sheets or drapes or shower curtain liners (they work best) and plug a laptop or DVD player into a projector and shine it on the "screen". I hook up some speakers or a boombox and voila homemade drive-in movie. We have been doing this for about 6 years, it's one of Katie's favorite birthday parties. Usually the neighbors stop by and pull up a lawn chair. The kids across the street are always asking when we will do it again. I am sure I am breaking some kind of copyright law but darn it, I'm a rebel!

3 comments:

  1. This could be the start of something big in NJ.
    Julie and Mick are in charge of their Labor Day block party and the wheels in little Julie's mind are really turning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tellin ya, it's great fun. Even Stuart has done it.

    Most people have projectors at work these days, even the schools have them. You just need an extension cord a surface to project on. Any DVD player/laptop and some speakers will do.

    I used a FM transmitter so the speakers could be up with the screen and not physically connected to the DVD player - just an added geek touch

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've done this a couple of times, once at the ranch and once here at home. Went pretty well.

    ReplyDelete