Wednesday, October 25, 2006

My car makes me smile

That's right, my car. It's warm here in Houston, even in October. But we have some really great days in the fall. We recently had a few of those. And on those days when I get in my car in the morning or jump in to leave work in the evening, I feel good.

I drive a 1999 Saab 9-3 convertible. The top is down about 95% of the time parked or moving, winter or summer. The car is kind of quirky and isn't very popular down here in Texas but I like it. When I drive it on those days when the humidity is just right and the temperature is just low enough to remind you that you are a warm blooded animal, I ride down the road with a smile on my face. Most of the time I am oblivious to my windswept grin, but at some point my cheeks get tired and I figure out why.

Driving with the top down gives you a different perspective. I notice how the poles in the intersections hold up all the traffic lights and street signs. Clouds can be a major distraction. You notice the 5 degree temperature drop and the smell of plants as you move past a strip center into a wooded section of a neighborhood. It reminds me a little of riding my motorcycle but the seat is much better and there is a lot to be said for air conditioning and heating.

I have never owned a convertible before and I doubt this will be my last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment