Thursday, November 1, 2007

What is a Lurker ?

Dictionary.com defines it as;

"to read or observe an ongoing discussion without participating in it, as in an Internet newsgroup"

There are far more Lurkers than we realize. You who are reading this are probably a lurker. I have to admit that I also do my share of lurking (except for this blog).

There are may reasons to lurk
wanting to remain anonymous
because it's too much trouble to put in your own 2 cents
you feel you don't have anything to contribute
you're sure if you post you will be inundated with spam offering to improve your sex life and the opportunity to help a poor Nigerian monarch with his too much cash problem . .

Perhaps I missed one? Let's here yours. (almost got ya didn't I?)

Those who are not Lurkers may wonder what one looks like. Well just the other day I found this one reading here, clicking there but not commenting anywhere.



He was lurking while he should have been studying. He was in class, all the way in the back lurking on this very site while IMing a footreader (he is from the southern hemisphere) in Auckland.

I see some of you lurkers are taken aback by my level of awareness of your presence. Because you have stayed with this post all the way to the end I will tell you one of us bloggers little secrets. See the little picture in the upper left corner of this page (the one of the dowdy family hosting this blog)? Well it's not a regular picture, it's like those windows that look like they are covered by an advertisement but if you go inside you don't see the advertisement - you can see out!

No comments:

Post a Comment